Monday, July 09, 2007

My missing Toucans - Jack and Jill

Feeling helpless really doesn't even describe the state I am in today. I received a call from work this morning and one of the animal care staff gave me some really terrible news. Some one broke into the Parrot house last night and stole my Toucans. Jack and Jill are their names. (Scroll down for pictures of them). They are Chestnut Mandibled (or Swainson's) Toucans. We have had them for close to 7 years now. We purchased them from a road- side zoo that was being closed down in Florida. They were not very healthy at the time, but are very healthy now except for the fact that they are getting to be pretty old birds. Most experts believe 15 years - 20 years is the life expectancy and Jack and Jill are at least 13. They are set in their ways and eat only very specific things, like many older people. Jack is extremely outgoing, he loves to nibble on his female caretakers and whisper sweet rattles into our ears. He finds joy in hunting for treats in your pocket and getting a good beak tickle. Jill is quiet and reserved. She enjoys a good game of catch with us and preening Jack. She becomes nervous very easily and will quite possibly die from this stress. These birds are no longer valuable in the pet trade. They are past the point of reproducing and would most definitely not survive being shipped anywhere. They were retired and happy at Cypress Gardens. They were not forced to perform and could escape from the heat of the day in their air conditioned house whenever they wanted. I believe they were very happy and now, beside myself with grief, I imagine what horrors await them. I just can't understand why anyone would do this to them. I have been trying to get the word out today, calling vets offices and pet shops. If you know anyone in the pet trade, please help us get the word out. I hope that someone will try to sell them locally and we can get them home. I can't bear going to work tomorrow without them there. If anyone knows anything, please call Cypress Gardens. I am sure that whoever did this doesn't read happy blogs about the joys of animal care, but just in case, please return them. We will ask no questions if you drop them at any vets office or bring them to Cypress Gardens, or take them to any pet store. We just want them to be safe and healthy.
thank you

No comments: